Saturday, February 18, 2012

True Confessions

Today I ran into a friend of mine.  We have shared stories with each other regarding our weight-loss journeys for the last 5 years or so.  She is one of my readers of this blog and told me today that she really enjoys it.  It's always so nice to hear that.  Sometimes I wonder why anyone would want to read my ramblings.

She got me thinking when we were talking today.  She hit the nail on the head when she said that it's nice to know that I struggle too.  That's exactly why I enjoy writing this blog.  It's nice to share our stories, struggles and triumphs.  But as I continued through the evening to think about our conversation I realized just how important it is that we have people in our lives that can understand what we are going through.  I am one of those people for my friend and she is one for me.

I don't know if you all realize that you are just as much an inspiration to me as I am to you.  I really love to hear from you but even when I don't hear from you, I think of you going though the same things that I am.  I also think of you all doing everything right because I know I am not alone when I think that others must have it together better than I.  I'm sure you have all done it too.  You wonder how she or he stays so thin.  You figure that they have never had the struggles that you have.  Little do we know that most of those people we are thinking of have or are struggling just as we are.

If you would like proof, here it is....my true confessions.  Wednesday was my weigh in day which is then the beginning of my weight loss week.  That means that my Weekly Allowance PointPlus Values start over that day.  On Wednesday I blew through the activity points I had accumulated for the day and almost all of my Weekly Points. Plain and simple, I ate too much food.  We had a few too many treats leftover in the house from Valentine's day so since I ate such nice, small portions on Valentine's day I decided to eat larger portions on Wednesday.  I ended the day, though, not feeling stuffed like I usually feel when I have eaten too much.

As I went through Thursday I finished off my Weekly Points and then some.  The good news is that I continued to track every bite.  That caused me to see exactly how many Activity Points I have to earn to even it all out before next Wednesday.

Friday started off very well.  I was going to keep to my points without a doubt.  Then, Bryan asked me if I would like to go out on a date.  Yes!  We have been very busy and needed a date.  My mom agreed to babysit so we could go out for dinner.  I made good choices at the restaurant......it was going to Kopps for dessert that did me in.  The good news is that we shared a sundae.  The bad news is that I was now even more in debt for the week.  Again, I tracked the whole thing so I could see just how much "damage" was done.

Now it's Saturday.  I started the day with a healthy, filling and point friendly breakfast.  Then a snack, and another, and another.  Did I mention leftover Valentine's treats?  Yep, had some of those too.  What am I doing? Before 11 in the morning I had used all but 12 of my points for the day.  That's crazy!  Was I really going to over another day?  It wasn't too late to gain control.  I said no to the treats my kids were having.  I said no to the pizza.  I ate strawberries.  I love strawberries.  I had corn.  Yes, it's points but it's a vegetable, it's filling and it's yummy. They are like treats for me.

Tonight we had a dinner at church.  We have this dinner once a month.  It's always tricky for me because there is lots of good food.  I didn't know what was being served but knew that there would be some fruits and veggies.  I filled 3/4 of my plate with fruits and veggies and then the other 1/4 with protein.  I ate no carbs.  I didn't need the points and had plenty of carbs in those treats I had earlier in the day.  I ate and was satisfied.  Somehow I ended today without going over my Daily PointsPlus budget.  It feels so good to gain control.  It's never too late.  I will continue to exercise like crazy to make up for my overages for the rest of the week.  I can do this.

What was wonderful was that my friend and I had this conversation just before I got my plate of food.  It was that extra boost that I needed to make good choices tonight.  I'm so grateful for the wonderful people in my life that are there to remind me to take care of myself....many times they don't even know that are doing it.

Don't forget that you are not alone in this journey.  Many have gone before you.  Many are joining you now.  Many will go after you.  Let's do it together.

Corinna

"The Lord our God is our protector. 'He will guard the feet of his faithful ones, but the wicked shall be cut off in darkness; for not by might does one prevail.'" -1Samuel 2:9

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love to read the comments and I know that everyone else does too. They help everyone who reads this blog.
Corinna