Monday, July 15, 2013

The Changes of Life and Healthy Living

My life has encountered changes recently.  In my past experiences, I have come to realize that when my daily life changes, my healthy living changes too. Since I am now aware of that pattern I am going to try not to let these changes change the fact that I take care of myself.

I am only going to discuss one of those changes with you today and save the rest for another blog soon. That change is that I turned 40. Not a week goes by that I don't see a commercial, hear an advertisement or read a magazine cover that mentions the fact that it's harder to lose weight or keep weight off after 40.  I can't help but wonder what that means for me.  Does that mean that those pesky 3 pounds that I have yet to lose from Samuel's pregnancy will never come off because I didn't lose them before the magic age of 40? Does that mean that those stubborn 5 pounds that I keep gaining and losing over and over again for the past 2 years will only attach themselves permanently to my thighs and never let go?

I take pride in the fact that age has never really bothered me.  I don't color my hair.  I realize that someday that may mean that I look 10 or 20 years older than other women my age but it's just not something I can ever see myself doing. I don't mind if my hair looks my age as long I as I feel as good as I can.

I don't feel old.  Turning 40 was just a fun milestone. It didn't mean that I was suddenly old or halfway done with my life.  If I'm going to live a long life, I need to turn 40 at some point so I guess this point is the time that it happens.  That truly is okay with me.

My main concern is that if my body starts doing strange things it will make it harder for me to maintain my healthy lifestyle.  So far, I feel great.  I can't complain.

So my strategy for dealing with this change is to take it in stride but to be conscience of it at the same time.  I don't want to ignore that fact that a woman's body may go through changes at 40 or soon after. I may need fewer calories. I may have to workout harder. I may have to find different workouts all together.  Since I've only been 40 for a whopping 12 days I have seen none of these effects but I want to be mindful that I don't let this change to unnoticed.  I noticed the change in my age.  I am going to be aware of the effects and be ready to battle them with the energy of a 30 year old but the knowledge of a 40 year old!

Have a great day, no matter how old you are,
Corinna

"Gray hair is a crown of glory; it is gained in a righteous life. One who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and one whose temper is controlled than one who captures a city. The lot is cast into the lap, but the decision is the Lord's alone." -Proverbs 16:31-33

1 comment:

  1. All so true, Corinna! It really does get more difficult to maintain and/or lose weight after the age of 40 - I'm living proof of that!! As our leader said wisely the other night at my WW meeting - it's all hard - being overweight, losing weight, maintaining a good weight - we get to choose which hard we'll do. All the best! LW

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I love to read the comments and I know that everyone else does too. They help everyone who reads this blog.
Corinna