Sunday, September 22, 2013

My Competitive Nature


Is it just me or do we all strive to be the best?  I know that some people are more competitive than others.  I have always been pretty competitive.  I think it's a healthy competitive, but I guess you'll have to ask my husband to be sure;)

When I played sports as a child, I like to win.  I was a decent loser too.  I didn't do a lot of pouting when I lost, but was a whole lot happier when I won.  As an adult that competitive nature has not gone away.  I still like to win and be the best, but I certainly see more of the value now in a time of loss.  We learn a lot about ourselves when we lose too.  I have learned over the years to use those times as tools in my life's journey.

I just plugged my latest competitive tool into my computer.  It's called an Active Link. It's a fascinating tool put out by WW that tracks your activity.  I'm addicted to it.  It reminds me to move more.  I keep it on my body all day except when I sleep.  No one even knows it's there (Well, except all you know now.) Any movement that my body makes is registered on this little tool.  As the day goes on, I can take it off at any time to see how close I am to making my activity goal for the day.  That's when my competitive nature kicks in.  I love to see those 4 lights bright to see that I have attained my goal and when I see only 2 lights lit, I know I'm not allowed to sit down yet today.

It's a great motivational tool. It motivates me to keep moving and shows me what activities earn me more activity points.  For those of you who are not WW members, activity points are a way to measure your activity.  I like earning them because I then get to exchange them for PointsPlus values that I can eat;) I also like plugging it into my computer (it's a USB) to see my chart with what hours I moved the most and how many Activity Points I have earned today, this week, this month or more.

I've learned that I struggle to make my goal on Sundays. I've learned that it's much easier to make my goal on days that I exercise.  I've learned that my faster, higher intensity exercises earn more points too.  That gives more reasons to do them.  I've learned that doing my grocery shopping at Woodman's not only saves me money but since the store is so huge, I earn more Activity Points.  I've learned these things as I compete with myself to light up those little lights that tell me that I am reaching my goal.

Have a great day!
I'm off to do some grocery shopping;)
Corinna

"But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified." 1 Corinthians 9:27

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. I love to read the comments and I know that everyone else does too. They help everyone who reads this blog.
Corinna